PROGRAMME ASSISTANT, UNFPA
||Prishtina, Kosovo, UN Administered Territory
|Application Deadline :
|Type of Contract :
|Post Level :
|Languages Required :
|Starting Date : (date when the selected candidate is expected to start)
|Duration of Initial Contract :
|Expected Duration of Assignment :
Under the supervision of the Assistant Representative, assists in designing, developing, supporting and monitoring the UHA35 project, with an emphasis on health promotion activities aimed at improving the reproductive health of the young people, HIV prevention, civil registration in assigned municipalities and increase the advocacy efforts on UNFPA mandated areas in Kosovo.
The Project Assistant applies established systems and procedures and assists in the creation of substantive knowledge by compiling, synthesizing and analyzing information relevant to population and development, reproductive health and civil registration. She/he is instrumental in facilitating programme/project implementation using and developing appropriate mechanisms and systems and ensuring compliance with established procedures.
The Project Assistant maintains collaborative relationships with administrative/financial, programme and project staff to exchange information and ensure consistent service delivery
Duties and Responsibilities
- Assists to the RH Coordinator with the component projects; drafting of Project documents and reports.
- Facilitates routine implementation of assigned projects: In coordination with national counterparts and project personnel assists in guiding routine implementation of assigned projects, assisting the delivery of project inputs, and ensuring participation of national counterparts in training activities and other project activities.
- Collects, registers and maintains information (filing) on programme activities, and contributes to the preparation of progress reports by providing information, preparing tables, drafting selected sections.
- Assists in ensuring relevant project monitoring and follow-up by conducting field visits, participating in review meetings and evaluation missions, making work plan/budget revisions, applies mechanisms to systematically assess the achievement of results, and preparing regular inputs to status and progress reports. Analyzes basic factors affecting the achievement of results, recommends corrective actions and follows up on recommendations.
- Assists with programme procurement and ensures procurement is in accordance with UNFPA Procurement Procedures;
- Drafts and translates letters, meeting minutes and other documents necessary for programme and project management, helps with preparation of the presentations as may be assigned by country office management.
- Provides logistical support to programme activities (project missions, study tours, trainings, conferences and workshops) including travel arrangements, accommodation, collecting supporting documents and organizing the venue.
- Assists in preparation of TORs for missions.
- Assists Assistant Representative and RH Coordinator with the advocacy and resource mobilization strategy of the UNFPA Office by compiling relevant background material for use in discussions and public events.
- Maintains network of donor and public information contacts.
- Contributes to the creation and sharing of knowledge by synthesizing and documenting findings and lessons learned, success stories and best practices, strategies and approaches of the UNFPA Office and drafting relevant materials for dissemination.
- In coordination with designated UNFPA country office Monitoring and Evaluation officer collects and processes information relevant to programme monitoring and evaluation and programme indicators;
- Assists in maintaining and regular updating programme M&E database.
- Ensures quality and completeness of filing of programme documents;
- Manages and maintains the office library;
- Results-based programme development and management She/he contributes to the achievement of results through primary research, analysis and effective monitoring of project implementation. Uses analytical skills to identify opportunities for project development and participates in the formulation of proposals ensuring substantive rigor in the design and application of proven successful approaches.
- Innovation and marketing of new approaches Enhances existing processes and products. Documents and analyzes innovative strategies, best practices and new approaches.
- Leveraging the resources of national governments and partners/Building strategic alliances and partners Establishes, maintains and utilizes a broad network of contacts to keep abreast of developments and to share information. Analyzes selected materials for strengthening strategic alliances with partners and stakeholders.
- Advocacy/Advancing a policy oriented agenda Prepares and communicates relevant information for evidence-based advocacy. Maintains a functioning network of contacts in the media and civil society to support advocacy efforts and takes opportunities for advocating for UNFPA/s mandate.
- Resource mobilization Provides inputs to resource mobilization strategies analyzing and maintaining information and databases on donors and developing database of project profiles for presentation to donors.
- Integrity/Commitment to mandate Acts in accordance with UN/UNFPA values and holds himself/herself accountable for actions taken. Demonstrates personal commitment to UNFPA’s mandate and to the organizational vision.
- Knowledge sharing/Continuous learning Takes responsibility for personal learning and career development and actively seeks opportunities to learn through formal and informal means. Learns from others inside and outside the organization adopting best practices created by others. Actively produces and disseminates new knowledge.
- Valuing diversity Demonstrates an international outlook, appreciates differences in values and learns from cultural diversity. Takes actions appropriate to the religious and cultural context and shows respect, tact and consideration for cultural differences. Observes and inquires to understand the perspectives of others and continually examines his/her own biases and behaviors.
- Working in teams Works collaboratively with colleagues inside and outside of UNFPA to allow the achievement of common goals and shared objectives. Actively seeks resolution of disagreements and supports the decisions of the team.
- Communicating information and ideas Delivers oral and written information in a timely, effective and easily understood manner. Participates in meetings and group discussions actively listening and sharing information. Frankly expresses ideas with the intent to resolve issues, considers what others have to say and responds appropriately to criticism.
- Conflict and self management Manages personal reactions by remaining calm, composed and patient even when under stress or during a crisis and avoids engaging in unproductive conflict. Expresses disagreement in constructive ways that focus on the issue not the person. Tolerates conditions of uncertainty or ambiguity and continues to work productively.
Working with people
- Empowerment/Developing people/Performance management Integrates himself/herself into the work unit seeking opportunities to originate action and actively contributing to achieving results with other members of the team. Knows his/her limitations and strength, welcomes constructive criticism and feedback and gives honest and contractive feedback to colleagues and supervisors. Seeks new challenges and assignments and exhibits a desire to learn. Accepts responsibility for personal performance participating in individual work planning and objective setting seeking feedback and acting to continuously improve performance.
Personal Leadership and Effectiveness
- Analytical and strategic thinking Uses appropriate analytical tools and logic to gather, define and analyze information, situations and problems and draws logical conclusions from data. Demonstrates an ability to set clear and appropriate priorities focusing on tasks and activities which have a strategic impact on results. Anticipates and meets information needs of the team and other stakeholders.
- Results orientation/Commitment to excellence Strives to achieve high personal standard of excellence. Takes action that goes beyond responding to the obvious needs of the situation and persists until successful outcomes are achieved.
- Appropriate and transparent decision making Makes timely and appropriate decisions taking into consideration various and complex issues and takes responsibility for the impact of decisions. Inquiries to understand the perspectives of others and continually examines his/her own biases and behaviors.
Required Skills and Experience
- Secondary education. University Degree in health, population development, social sciences or public health management would be desirable but is not a requirement.
- Minimum 5 years of relevant experience at the national or international level in the field of health, population development, or public health management.
- Experience in monitoring and evaluation of projects would be an asset.
- Proven track record, practical experience and knowledge in health promotion;
- Previous experience in development assistance or related work for an international organization;
- Sound knowledge of the social and cultural realities of the region would be an asset;
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS word, excel, outlook, etc.) in handling web-based management systems, and advanced knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages;
- Familiarity with UN procedures and working methods, particularly with UNFPA’s agenda, policies and procedures, is highly desirable.
- Fluency in both oral and written English and Albanian. Knowledge of Serbian language is considered an advantage.
- Click on the “Apply now” button.
- Input your information in the appropriate Sections: personal information, language proficiency, education, resume and motivation. You can type in, or paste your short Resume into the last box.
- Upon completion of the first page, please hit “submit application” tab at the end of the page. On the next page, you will be asked to upload your Resume. Instead of uploading your Resume, please submit a fully completed and signed Personal History Form (P-11). Form can be dowloaded at this link: http://www.ks.undp.org/en/Jobs
- System will only allow one attachment. All docs (P11, academic qualifications/diploma) should be included as one attachment